Waterfall Cardigan release, and other knitting and sewing

My latest knit design, Waterfall Cardigan, was released this week in the summer issue of Cast On magazine!

It is currently available only to members of The Knitting Guild of America, but will be available to the general public soon. This sweater is worked in Lady Godiva yarn—a beautiful silk wool blend– from Handmaiden Yarns. The yarn was a delight to work with, and showed off both lace and cable designs beautifully. After wet blocking, it developed a lovely drape that allows the fronts of the cardigan to fall gracefully. The stitch patterns are from Annie Maloney’s book “Lace Cables.” I love this collection, and want to design something with every single stitch pattern in there—so far I’ve used 4!

Meanwhile, I’ve been working on more utilitarian knitting. My winter socks have been mended many times over, so I decided to replace them with Anastacia Zittel’s “Cable Look Socks,” which I tested before the pattern release. (The pair I’m replacing is the original test knit). I’m making this pair in Ella Rae Classic, a workhorse worsted-weight wool that’s available in a wide range of colors.

Cable_Look_Sock2sm

This yarn is on the lighter side of worsted weight, which means that I can make the socks slightly longer than the originals. I’ve finished one sock, and am about a third of the way through the second one. They make for great knitting on the bus.

My sewing plans, as often happens, have gotten waylaid by holidays—Mother’s day and my mom’s birthday a week later. I decided to try something different for her this time, and picked a style that neither of us would typically reach for. I chose V9035 from Marcy Tilton.

V9035envelope_sm

When I was at the fabric store with my mom last weekend, I asked her to pick from the selection of silk dupioni fabrics, without telling her the intended use. She chose a lovely sage green, which unfortunately looks a bit sallow in the photos below.

V9035front_sm

I purchased 2.25 yards, as called for on the pattern envelope for a 60” fabric, but realized after I got home that the fabric was more like 53.” I barely managed to fit the pattern pieces. The construction is highly unusual, but the directions are clear enough, and the sewing itself is straightforward. I finished it in record time, and even did mock-French seams to enclose the seam allowances, which frayed badly. I gave it to my mom today, with only the sleeve hems and buttons/ buttonholes remaining. She loved it! (I was afraid she wouldn’t, since it’s not her “normal” style). My only complaint about the design is how wide the back is. I’m not exactly thrilled with the flappy thing across the back either, but I don’t mind it.

V9035back_sm

It may work better in a drapier fabric, rather than the stiff fabrics recommended (pattern envelope calls for taffeta, poplin, or broadcloth). I finished the sleeve hems after she left, and now only the buttonholes remain. These are the buttons I plan to use:

Details of the pattern and construction next week!

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s