Happy New Year!

Happy 2017! I can’t believe it’s been so long since I’ve posted. If you’ve been following me on Facebook, you’ve probably seen a lot more of me in the past year there. One of my new year’s resolutions is to post here more regularly, so here goes Day 1 of my resolution.

I realized that I left off on a bit of a cliff-hanger with the last post. I finished the pants, although the inside is untidy and back pockets just don’t sit right. Here’s a view of the front, which looks quite reasonable.

vogue8890complete_sm

On to knitting news, I had 2 pattern releases this year. The first was Ascending Leaves Pullover, which was published by Valley Yarns. The yarn used for this sweater, Longmeadow, a blend of cotton and microfiber, held up to its promise of being a cotton yarn with the properties of wool. I loved the stitch definition, without the fuzz of a wool yarn.

ascending-leaves_for_blog

(c) Valley Yarns Designs

The second was Peony Shrug, made with Revel DK yarn (a merino superwash) from A Riot of Color. The yarn was a dream to work with, and was a bit sturdier than most superwash yarns. I’ll let the photos speak for themselves.

I also had the chance to knit from published patterns. I made this baby set (Sirdar 1666) for a friend’s baby. Actually, my husband learned to knit in the past year or two, and he made the hat and bootees! I knit the sweater, and did all the finishing and flower trims on all the pieces. The yarn, Bio Sesia (a cotton fingering weight), knit up beautifully, but was difficult to work with, as it resembled 14 strands (yes, I counted!) of loosely-spun sewing-thread-weight plies. Fortunately all pieces fit the recipient, and mom was very happy!

sirdar1666_baby_set

I had a much more prolific year of sewing than knitting. I’ll show some highlights below:

Vogue 7876, in a tiger-print polyester charmeuse. It’s my first animal print ever, and I love it!

vogue7876tiger_print_crop

Vogue 1481, in a brocade I picked up in NYC a little over a year ago. I managed to squeeze the dress out of 1.25 yards of a 45” inch cut (the pattern calls for 1.75 yards). The brocade frayed like crazy. I swore I wouldn’t work with brocade again, but then I couldn’t resist signing up for McCall’s fall bomber jacket sew-along, which I made in….. brocade!

vogue1481_finished_modeled

This is Butterick 6181. I followed the sew-along instructions for adding a lining, which worked well. I was thrilled to see that this was one of the jackets featured on the McCall’s blog in November!

On the topic of fraying fabrics, this kimono, based on a tutorial from Elle Apparel, was cut from a polyester chiffon sari donated by my mom. I french-seamed everything. Next time I’ll make the back-neck smaller as it tends to slip off my shoulders, but overall I’m happy with it.

kimono

Fortunately I didn’t spend the entire year battling with fraying fabrics. I made this dress using a “midweight wool” that my husband purchased for me two years ago from Britex fabrics. I waited for the perfect pattern, which was published last fall by Burda (Burda 09-2015-116 Long Sleeve Shift Dress). Love everything about this dress and fabric!

burda116_full_outdoors_sm

I also made the Dove top, very soon after it was released by Megan Nielsen this fall. The fabric is an Art Gallery voile print. I love everything about this top too, and hope to make more like this in the future.

dove

My crowning achievement for the year was this Marfy dress, made for the One Yard Wonder contest hosted by Sewing Pattern Review. It is fully lined, and made with 1 meter of fashion fabric (some kind of polyester satin). The total cost is under $10! This pattern required some adjusting (taking in the side seams above the waist and below the hips, and taking in the bust seam), but was worth the trouble. The contest voting will open later this week on Sewing Pattern Review, so if anyone is a member there, you can cast your votes soon.

And finally some garment-related resolutions for the year. Rather, for the week (I’m taking this in baby steps): this week I plan to fix a couple of garments in my wardrobe that I’m not 100% happy with. One is a cowl-necked top that I love, but would love just a tad more if I hadn’t gotten tucks into the sleeve caps when setting them in. The second is a blazer from 2013, which has— you guessed it— tucks in the sleeve caps. This will be much harder to fix, as it is lined and has shoulder pads. I’ll start off with the cowl-necked top as a warm-up, and then move on to the blazer. Finally, I plan to finish my Adiri sweater, designed by Julia Trice, which I made as part of the Indie Design Gift-Along on Ravelry. The sleeves are blocking now, and should be ready to sew in tomorrow.

Do you have any projects that you’d love just a bit more if they didn’t have that one thing wrong? Join me in fixing up past projects to make something you’ll be thrilled and proud to wear. I’ll post about the progress I make at the end of the week, before moving on to the queue of new projects I have lined up. Looking forward to embarking on my 2017 projects!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s